What is the best way to handle fishing violations when you see them occurring? This past Friday evening while fishing with the kids at the Green Lane Park reservoir we observed a couple with three children fishing near us. The first thing that caught my attention was neither adult had a license displayed. The gentleman had 4 poles in the water directly in front of him, while the woman and all the children were using sticks with fishing line. As they were catching numerous small fish they were placing them in plastic bags and buckets. This went on for some time. I'm certainly not up on all the fishing regulations but just the fact that there was a chance neither adult was licensed I decided to contact the PA fish commission. I called the south east region office only to find it closed. I then contacted the Green Lane boat rental office and told them what we were observing and they radioed the ranger. When the ranger pulled up, the adult lady quickly put down her stick and hid the bags and buckets in the rocks. This showed some type of guilt. The ranger got out of his truck walked down to the boat dock looked at the people and walked away. I went up to the parking lot and confronted him as what we have witnessed and he said he can't enforce any fishing regulations. After he left they continued with their slaughter. I contacted the PA fish commission this afternoon at the south east region office, told them everything I witnessed and they basically blew me off also. I wasn't able to get a straight answer form them either. After 4 pm, there doesn't seem to be a direct number to call if you observe something. They didn't even have a interest in what I said I witnessed. I mentioned that I frequent this park numerous times a week and see groups of people, fishing with out what appears to be a license at the boat rental area and also the Knight rd fishing pier. I'm wandering if the fact that the majority of the groups are of foreign descent the authorities are afraid of backlash?

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:12 pm

PA Fish Finder

Social Links